Skip to content ↓

View entry

Back to search results

Name: PALMER-KERRISON, Charles Kerrison Danby (Capt.)

image of individual

Nee: bro of Dorothea Hester, wife of Edward Martin 1887-1957

Birth Date: 28 May 1882 Ranworth, Norfolk

Death Date: 14 Feb 1965 Norwich

First Date: 1925

Profession: ADC to the Governor, Govt. House

Area: Nairobi

Book Reference: Red 25, Red 22, Elephant, Chandler, Web

War Service: Norfolk Yeomanry; KAR

General Information:

Red 22 - Capt. C.K. Palmer-Kerrison, ADC to Governor, Entebbe
Elephant - Captain Palmer-Kerrison, who was ADC to Sir Robert Coryndon while Governor of Uganda, and who afterwards joined the elephant control staff in Uganda, had a strenuous eighteen months hunting when the scheme first started, about 1925. He had a very nasty experience with a rogue herd. He shot two of them and then ran into a group of five at close range. They immediately charged, giving him no time to get out of the way; he fired at the leader, which was on top of him and carried him on a tusk some distance down the path, where he fell off. The herd moved on and disappeared in the forest, the leader collapsing twenty yards further on. Palmer-Kerrison, badly hurt in the stomach, sent one boy back to camp for help, while his gunbearer remained with him all night. Next morning, after a night of intense pain, a thunderstorm and a visit from a prowling leopard, two elephants trumpeted close to him and ran up towards him, but on encountering the dead elephant, made off. He was then carried back to his camp, and thence to Kampala and Home, where he made a complete recovery.
Racing - Frequent amateur jockey at Races - 1930
Web - Captain Charles Danby Palmer-Kerrison (1882 - 1920s). Charles was the son of George William Danby Palmer (the son of George Palmer of Martham Hall) and the family home was Langhale House, Kirstead (around fifteen miles away from Gissing). Charles joined the 1st Battalion (cyclists) of the Royal Norfolk Yeomanry as a Second Lieutenant on November 3rd 1914 and was promoted to Captain on June 1st 1916.  He survived the Great War and the late Ben Burgess recalled that he then emigrated to become a ‘white hunter’ in Rhodesia, only returning to Kirstead when his father died in about 1922. He allowed the Burgess’s to farm his land until he died a few years later, after which the estate and house were sold on.  He never grew apples at Kirstead.
Red 25 - Committee Member, REAAA

Back to search results