Skip to content ↓

View entry

Back to search results

Name: THOMASON, Elinor Christina 'Chrissie', Mrs

image of individual

Nee: dau of Amelia and Robert Tate-Smith

Birth Date: 24 Aug 1900 Micklegate, York

Death Date: 11 Feb 1974 Barberton, S. Africa

First Date: 1912

Profession: Started work with W.C. Hunter & Co. until marrying Norman Jolley. On separating from Norman in 1933, worked with the International Harvester Co. in the Railway Godown area, staying there till after WW2 when she moved to the Coffee Curing Works

Area: Nairobi

Married: 1. In Nairobi 1919 Norman Rhodes Jolley (1895-1978) (separated 1935) ; 2. George William Thomason (1898-1968)

Children: Ronald Bevan (8 Feb1920 Nairobi-29 Apr 2012 Pietermaritzburg); Winifred Christina (Newett) (27 Mar 1921 Nakuru); Ruth Sylvia (Kenny) (29 July 1923 Mombasa); Denys Norman (11 Mar 1926 Nairobi-3 Mar 2004 Pfungen, Switzerland); Gweneth (Drury) (15 Jan 1930 Peacehaven-21 Mar 2009 Pietermaritzburg); David Alexander (13 Aug 1931 Kampala-6 Apr 1982 Tzanzeen, S. Africa)

Book Reference: EAWL, R. Jolley

School: Nairobi School

General Information:

At the Coffee Curing Works she worked with Keith McKenzie and met and eventually married George Thomason.Source: Ronald Bevan Jolley
R.B. Jolley - "When Norman and the 6 children moved to the UK in 1935, Chrissie Jolley, who was now on her own, lived with her mother Amelia Tate-Smith in the 6th Ave Parklands house. On the return of son Ronald in August 1936 and a year later the other 5 children, so they were all accommodated in this house. But during the period the children were in the UK Chrissie met up with an ex boy friend, George Thomason, so he had also moved into 6th Ave. Parklands. Chrissie and George were both working at International Harvester, Chrissie in the accounts section, George in the workshop in the Industrial area. Though at the outbreak of 1939 war, George Thomason joined the Heavy Repair shop of the Army Service Corps. As a civilian employer [sic], and stayed till the end of hostilities. Chrissie also left IHC and moved to a better paid job with the Coffee Curing Factory just across the road."

Back to search results