Skip to content ↓

View entry

Back to search results

Name: ARMSTRONG, Walter Worsley

Birth Date: 7 Oct 1895 Holloway, London

Death Date: 16 Apr 1970 Watford

First Date: 1922

Profession: Missionary

Area: Kisii

Married: In Watford 1920 Marjorie May Lynton Brett b. 1895 Hertford, d. 2 Feb 1973 Watford

Children: Ronald (1923 Southampton-1994 Broxbourne); dau.

Book Reference: KAD, Red 25, Red 31, Hut, Red 22, Alex Mascarenhas

War Service: Exemption from combat on conscientious grounds

General Information:

Missionary - in charge of the Seventh Day Adventist Mission at Kamagambo
1939 England and Wales Register living with father Herbert (also a Minister of Religion) in Watford, as Minister of Religion, married (no wife there) In 1920, W. W. Armstrong came in to take over the work in Kanyadoto. By 1924, Kanyadoto had 154 members in the Adventist Church and was described by L. H. Christian, the General Conference vice president for Europe, as “…our strongest mission in Africa.” In 1925, plans were made to construct a permanent church. 
 W. W. Armstrong worked hard to see the building completed. Despite the fact that he received from Mission funds only about a quarter of what he needed to build the school, he rallied the people to raise the rest of the money. The previous school building had collapsed in 1920, and the church too had been in danger of collapse, the large poles having been reduced to dust by the borer and ants. The two buildings had been put up by Sparks, and the poles used had been cut green from the forest. Rats had also infested the thatch building and once, during the church worship service, a snake caused commotion when it was spotted in the roof. The dust also came in plentifully, and when it rained, it turned into a mudbath both inside and outside the church building. Armstrong stated that he feared entering that building. Armstrong took the matter to the committee, and Bartlett, together with other mission heads, agreed to reduce their appropriations to contribute to the Kanyadoto kitty. This raised the amount to about half of what was needed. When Armstrong made the call one Sabbath, the following Sabbath the people brought in £6 13s. This, according to Armstrong, was contributed at a great sacrifice. Then they ferried over five tons of materials by hand from far away. They also helped builder Brother F. Salway, who was the main contractor in many of the buildings in those early missions. A fine building still stands today, nearly a century after all that effort was made. Armstrong also oversaw the construction of the school building. In 1928, L. Gabrielsen took over from Armstrong. 

Back to search results